Finally, the Car Awards Group Inc. (CAGI) revealed the winners of the most coveted 2015 Car and Truck of the Year-Philippines awards. With an intense battle between 63 entries from different brands, 2 Japanese automakers were able to bring home the bacon.
The Mazda2 SkyActiv R came out on top over the other nominees taking the 2015 Car of the Year-Philippines award. This, plus the 2014-2015 Car of the Year award it won in Japan last year, is one of the greatest validation that this subcompact sedan truly deserves.
On the other hand, the testing days saw a number of trucks from different brands wage war against each other. With the truck wars now over, the Nissan NP300 Navara 4x2 went home with the 2015 Truck of the Year–Philippines award.
The results were audited by R.G. Manabat & Co. which is a full professional services firm that offers audit, tax, and financial/business advisory. The data was collected from the 4 days of qualitative and technical testing held in Clarkfield, Pampanga.
Aside from the 2 major awards mentioned, winners from each category and special awards from the sponsors were also conferred. Mazda won in 4 categories and 2 special awards which signifies that whatever they are doing with their cars, they’re doing it right.
Here are the complete results:
- 4x2 SUV – Ford Everest Trend 2.2L 4x2 AT
- 4x4 SUV – Ford Everest Titanium 3.2L 4x4 AT
- Basic Subcompact – Suzuki Celerio GL 1.0 MT
- Compact Car – Kia Forte Koup 2-door
- Compact Crossover SUV – Honda HR-V 1.8 EL CVT
- Compact MPV – Honda Mobilio 1.5V CVT
- Crossover SUV – Mazda CX-5 AWD Sport
- Luxury Crossover SUV – Lexus NX 200t F-Sport
- Luxury MPV – Honda Odyssey 2.4L EX-V Navi
- Luxury Sedan – Jaguar XE 2.0
- High-Performance Sports Car – Lexus RC-F
- Midsized Car – Mazda6 Sports Wagon
- Premium Sedan – Volvo S60 D4 Polestar
- Premium Sports Car – Ford Mustang 5.0L V8 GT Premium
- Sports Car – Mazda MX-5 MT
- Sports Hatchback – Volkswagen Golf GTI
- Sports Sedan – Subaru WRX 2.0 MT
- Subcompact Car – Mazda2 Skyactiv R Sedan
- Subcompact Crossover SUV – Nissan Juke
- Ultraluxury Car – Rolls-Royce Wraith
- Ultraluxury Sports Car – Ferrari California T
- 4x2 Pickup – Nissan NP300 Navara 2.5L 4x2 EL 7AT Calibre
- 4x4 Pickup – Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 4x4 AT
Here are the special awards from the sponsors:
- Speedlab Tuner's Choice Award - Mazda MX-5 MT
- Manila International Auto Show Design Award - Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
- Fontana Luxury Lifestyle Award - Rolls Royce Wraith
- CAGI Safety Award - Ford Everest titanium 3.2L 4x4 AT
- Bose Sound Excellence Award - Mazda 6 Sports Wagon
- AirAsia Philippines Consumer Award - Suzuki Celerio GL 1.0L AT
- HitchPro Outdoor Lifestyle Award - Land Rover Discovery Sport
For full specs and features of each award-winning vehicle, visit the AutoDeal Car Guide.
The 2015 Car of the Year – Philippines is co-presented by Carmudi Philippines, and is made possible by event partners Fontana Hot Spring Leisure Parks & Casino, and KPMG R. G. Manabat & Co., and sponsors Bose, Air Asia, HitchPro, the Manila International Auto Show, Worldbex Services International, Manila North Tollways Corporation, North Luzon Expressway, Sonax, Ultra Modular Concepts, Inc. (UMCI), Romac Group of Companies, Columbia Sportswear, SpeedLab, and LG Electronics. Media partners include BusinessMirror, BusinessWorld, Malaya Business Insight, Manila Bulletin, Philippine Daily Inquirer and The Philippine Star.
That makes three performance oriented vehicles for the Japanese manufacturer.
Volkswagen felt a little sick about having just five colors for the Golf R and decided to add 40 more.
Paul McCartney-commissioned Minis for Penny Lane’s promotion is now tagged and can be yours.