What kind of insurance do you need if you're involved in a self-accident?

Got into a little fender-bender on your own? Don’t worry, there’s a policy for that.

What kind of insurance do you need if you're involved in a self-accident?

While there are accidents that you can blame on another party, there are times when you just make a mistake, leaving your car damaged and in need of repair. That’s why insurance is a must, but what exactly do you get? 

We won’t withhold the answer until the end of this article. Put simply, you need a comprehensive car insurance policy, but here are some of the things that you need to know about making a claim and the comprehensive policy that you need. 

What is own-damage?

Own damage includes, but is not limited to: 

  • Damage while driving - Colliding with another car or obstacle 
  • Damage by fire - Due to self-ignition or an external explosion 
  • Theft - Fair market value can be reclaimed 
  • Vandalism - Criminal damage or theft of declared parts on the vehicle 

However, it is important to note that there are certain scenarios that won’t be classified under own-damage, and therefore will not be covered by your insurance policy, unless you have the specific add-on. 

  • Acts of nature - damage that comes from natural disasters will not be covered unless an ‘Acts of God’ or ‘Acts of Nature’ add-on is availed 
  • Stolen car accessories - Unless otherwise declared by the insured party 

The benefits of comprehensive insurance

The good thing about comprehensive insurance is that it covers most of what you need with just one policy plus a few add-ons for extra peace of mind. Getting a policy like this is infinitely better than the standard compulsive third-party liability (CPTL) that all cars must have when getting registered at the LTO. 

Getting a comprehensive insurance policy will take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. You get a lot of coverage and even more if you avail of more packages. It’s a rather fool-proof way of covering your precious automobile with a layer of protection that you’ll be glad to have if you ever get into an accident. You're also able to cover your own damages, as well as the damages of a third party.