Cars on a inter-island transport

For the more traveled of us out there, inter-island vessels, or “roros” are available to allow vehicles to cross waters that are otherwise inaccessible via bridges or roads. It’s also a great way to skip the traffic on land and go straight to your destination. 

If you’ve taken the necessary steps to protect your car, which may include a bit of paint protection or even comprehensive insurance, the question arises, when out at sea, is paint protection all you have against damage? 

While you can travel anywhere in the Philippines and still be taken care of by your insurance policy, this extends only to the roads and highways of the country. The moment your car leaves the road, your insurance policy may need an add-on if it is available. 

The use of an inter-island vessel comes with its share of risks. If your car is not secured properly on the boat and it bumps into things, then it’s likely that the insurance company won’t cover the damage. 

For the most part, comprehensive insurance policies cover vehicle usage on public roads and highways. It’s important to know exactly what your insurance policy provider covers, and whether or not there’s an add-on that allows such a use case. 

Comprehensive insurance provides the best protection for your vehicle, but that doesn’t mean that it will be covered should the damage occur on a “roro.” However, there is an alternative that you can get and inquire about, and that is marine insurance. 

Marine insurance covers damage that may occur onboard a vessel. If you find yourself on boats with your car, you may want to consider this insurance or inquire whether a similar add-on is required for coverage, or inquire if the standard comprehensive insurance policy covers damage on-board vessels. Otherwise, you would want to invest in a Marine Insurance policy. 

The coverage of most marine insurance policies includes protection against loss or damage to “vessels, craft, aircraft, vehicles, goods, freights, cargoes, respect to, appertaining to, or in connection with any and all risks or perils of navigation, transit, or transportation,” according to Section 101 of the Insurance Code. 

Latest Features

View More Articles

Popular Articles