Indeed, dogs are more than just man’s best friend. They are family. Knowing this, Chevrolet Philippines partnered with BetterDog Canine Behavior Center for an educational event called “Travel Tails,” which centered on how you can travel safely with your companions.
It’s essential that you can carry your dog safely and comfortably in a vehicle. To do this, here are some 7 tips dog friendly travel tips we learned from Chevrolet:
- Not all dogs love road trips. Some of them find traveling stressful, so it’s best to know first if your canine is up to it. A bit of practice runs like short trips around the block would help.
- Make sure to buckle up your dog for safety using dog-specific seat belts that can be bought in your local pet store. Or better yet, have him/her enjoy the ride at the back in his carrier. But don’t let your dog sit in front because a deploying airbag could injure or kill a canine.
- Never leave your pet alone in the car even if the windows are open. This will not only prevent pet theft, but also prevent your pet from suffering heat stroke especially on very hot days.
- For dogs who have anxiety issues or bark a lot, give them chew treats or toys to keep them pre-occupied. Chewing or licking are known to be soothing to dogs and may help yours relax.
- Identify dog-friendly establishments, restaurants, hotels, and dog parks that are on your travel route.
- Be very careful when feeding your dog with some foods people eat such as chocolate. These can be fatal to your dog. For safety, keep your food out of your dog’s reach.
- Put an ID tag with contact information on your dog’s collar and keep a recent photo of your pet. If in any case your dog gets separated from you, finding he/she will be much easier.
Though a compact sedan may suffice, a larger vehicle is the most ideal ride as it provides sufficient space for the dog and other necessities like pet carriers and food and drink containers.
That’s why Chevrolet highlighted 2 of their vehicles: the Trailblazer and Captiva. Both vehicles offer an abundance of cargo rear space for your pets and their essential needs. The Trailblazer even has folding 2nd and 3rd row seats for added capacity. The 2 SUVs are also built to dampen noise, vibration, and harshness so you and your pet can enjoy a stress-free ride.
It’s better to keep these potentially harmful things out of your vehicle now.
If you want road presence and extreme comfort for a full-sized, eight-seater SUV, then this could be your ticket.
A brief history lesson on the Chinese automotive market.