LTO says ebikes should be registered too.

Due to the increasing popularity of electric bikes (e-bikes), the Land Transportation Office (LTO) is reminding the public that these vehicles still need to be registered.

LTO is alarmed by the number of unlicensed people riding e-bikes, especially with advertisements stating that such vehicles are exempted to registration. With this, LTO reiterates that electric bikes, just like motorcycles, are included in the Land Transportation Code.

Moreover, LTO enforcement service director Francis Almora said that no one is to ride e-bikes without possessing a driver's license. He explained that lack of knowledge in local driving laws poses serious threat on the road.

Just this week, LTO has already confiscated a number of e-bikes passing along EDSA and other large thoroughfares in Pasay. In addition, unlicensed e-bike drivers who will be apprehended will be disallowed from applying for a license, student permit or non-pro.

LTO is now conducting an inventory to list and gather all e-bike sellers to discuss this policy.

Just like vehicle registration, e-bikes should also be registered. For light vehicle registration, here are the steps as required by LTO’s Administrative Order 2006-01:

1. First, complete all of the following requirements:

  • commercial invoice of the vehicle from the country of origin
  • BOC Certificate of Payment
  • Certificate of Stock Reported (CSR)
  • sales invoice of MV with sales evaluation from the regional office
  • PNP-TMG MV Clearance Certificate
  • a duly accomplished and approved Motor Vehicle Inspection Report (MVIR)
  • appropriate insurance certificate of cover
  • Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN)

2. Proceed to the transaction counters and submit all the required documents to the Evaluator for evaluation and computation of fees.

3. Actual inspection of motor vehicles with duly accomplished MVIR. (The form is available for download at the LTO website. You can accomplish this form prior to transacting your business at the LTO.)

4. Proceed to the cashier when your name is called for the necessary fees and obtain an Official Receipt (OR).

5. Proceed to the Releasing Counter when your name is called to obtain the Certificate of Registration (CR), plates, stickers, and other requested documents.

Photo courtesy of slikviditet

Latest News

View More Articles

Popular Articles