The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has announced that it will be temporarily suspending certain road works over the Christmas season. This was done for the government agency to better handle the projected increase in vehicle volume during the coming weeks. The temporary halt to these roadworks will officially start on November 14, 2022, and will last until January 6, 2023. This means that any ongoing projects such as reblock, pipe laying, road upgrading, and all other excavation works will be put on standby during the said period.
However, there are still MMDA road works related projects that will continue which include the following
- Flagship projects of the government
- DPWH bridge repair/ construction
- Flood interception catchment project
- Asphalt overlay projects without reblocking works
- Sidewalk improvement
- Drainage improvement projects along sidewalks that do not occupy any part of roadways
- Footbridge projects
- Emergency leak repair or breakage of the water line by Manila Water and Maynilad Water Services
- Projects using trenchless or horizontal directional drilling method
- New water service or electrical service connections
- Road activities without excavation such as traffic clearance
- Traffic signalization projects
- Meralco relocation works affect major projects of the government.
Aside from this, the MMDA has also announced that mall hours have been extended and now cover 11 AM to 11 PM which will come into effect on November 14, 2022. These adjusted mall hours were agreed upon after a consultative meeting with representatives from major Malls in Metro Manila. Similar to the temporary suspension of road works, the adjustment to the mall hours will only last until January 6, 2023.
With the Christmas rush only a few weeks away, the government agency has taken proactive measures to make sure that traffic in the city is handled all while giving consumers more opportunities to get their Christmas shopping done.