If you’re a Skyway user going to Manila, well, good news because the Department of Works and Highways (DPWH) has already opened the temporary three-lane, the northbound direction of Skyway Stage 3. Motorists can now exit near Java Street in Makati City, which is one kilometer further, instead of taking the usually congested Buendia Avenue area.
According to DPWH Secretary Mark Villar, the said section will be open until the completion of Phase 1 of the project. Currently, only one lane is passable but another lane will be added later, and will eventually be widened to four lanes. This will then be a big help to ease the traffic in Osmena Highway.
The Skyway Stage 3 is a six-lane, elevated expressway in Metro Manila that has a total span of 17.54 km from Gil Puyat Avenue, Makati City up to Balintawak, Quezon City. This project is divided into five segments namely:
• Section 1 — 3.76-kilometers from Buendia Avenue, Makati City to President Quirino Avenue, Manila City
• Section 2A — 0.96-kilometer from Pres. Quirino Ave. Manila to Tomas Claudio St., Manila
• Section 2B – 3.93 kilometers from Tomas Claudio St., Manila to Aurora Blvd., Manila
• Section 3 — 2.71 kilometers from Aurora Blvd., Manila to Quezon Ave., Quezon City
• Section 4 — 4.46 kilometers from Quezon Ave., Quezon City to A. Bonifacio Ave., Quezon City
• Section 5 — 1.56 kilometers from A. Bonifacio, Quezon City To NLEX
As of now, the Concessionare Citra Central Expressway Corporation (CCEC) has already constructed about 1 km viaduct, as well as the 2.7-km deck slab of Skyway Stage 3 Section 1. Once the Skyway Stage 3 is fully completed, there will be eight access ramps and interchanges located along Buendia Avenue, (South Super Highway, Makati City), Pres. Quirino Avenue (Malate, Manila), Plaza Dilao (Paco, Manila), Nagtahan/Aurora Boulevard (Manila), E. Rodriguez Avenue (Quezon City), Quezon Avenue (Quezon City), Sgt. Rivera St. (Quezon City) and NLEX.
This Skyway Stage 3 project is also part of the current administration’s “Build, Build, Build” program that intends to alleviate the worsening traffic condition in the country.